Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Don't Assume

Last weekend I was speaking at a student leadership retreat for the Cru movement at U of Texas. Our family loved the opportunity to join some great students and staff members for the day. Following one of my talks a student approached me. He said he enjoyed the talk and had a question about something I said. Now, the range of meaning for that last statement is something that causes a moment of anxiety in me. While it could mean that they just have a question, many times it means "I have a bone to pick with something you said." Well, I was delighted to know it was the former.
The young fraternity guy referenced a story in my talk where I asked a college athlete if they'd like to know more about a relationship with God. The story continues with the athlete eventually becoming a follower of Jesus. Frat guy wanted to know what I said to the football player. I wondered what he meant. I started to answer him, but he said "no, that's not what I'm asking. I'd like to know what you said to him."
"Oh, you mean you'd like to know what I said to him about how someone begins a relationship with God?"
"Yes, that's what I'd like to know."

So, I proceeded to share with him a booklet that I shared with the athlete that describes how someone can have a relationship with God. I assumed that I had gotten to the root of the frat guys question. I assumed that he wanted to talk to some of his friends about Christ and wanted to know how. Why else would he be at a Cru retreat?

Reflecting back, I wonder if the guy had a relationship with God himself, or if he was asking me to tell him how to have a relationship. I may never know. I assumed I had heard his question. But did I?

No comments:

Post a Comment