Thursday, February 3, 2011

Something to get excited about


I spend a large amount of time around people that are in vocational Christian ministry with college students. Actually, that's part of my job. One of the things I find interesting is how little we talk to another about Jesus. When asked, most of us would readily admit that he is a pretty big deal. But, if you listen to our conversations, it's easy to tell that we're excited about our fantasy football team, the new outfit from Ann Taylor Loft or the recent deal we found on Priceline. The volume of our conversation, the way we interrupt one another and other non-verbals tell even the poorest listener that we're pretty excited about something.

When was the last time you were with a few Christians and the conversation turned to, "Do you want to hear what I admire about Jesus?" or "I've recently been reading the Gospels, and I'm amazed that Jesus _________."

Perhaps, we could take a step forward and lead in the change. Consider, "I can only imagine how excited I would be if my favorite college team had as good of recruiting class as the Buckeyes. Recently, I'm become more excited about what God has been doing in my life. One of the things, I'm growing to admire about Jesus is that he can give me rest even when life feels packed in with responsibilities."

I was recently thinking about the story in Mark 5 where Jesus raises the young girl from the dead. Sometimes, my heart feels a little dead toward the things of God. I can try to do some self-defibrillation. I can listen to some Christian music that at one point seemed motivating to me. I can read a book that at one point really got me jazzed. But sometimes that doesn't make me feel any more alive.

One of the things I admire about Jesus is that he has the power and concern to wake me from the dead. That's a pretty big deal.

Try your own. Let me know how it goes.

If you need some ideas consider reading John 1, Revelation 1, Colossians 1, Philippians 2, or Mark 4 and 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment